Some weeks ago I got one of these non-common campaign requests that pushed me to write a new post: A Spanish perfume manufacturing client based in Indonesia requested a Global Facebook Marketing campaign across 13 countries, 7 of them in the ASEAN region, for a brand new product launch . The campaign should kick off at the same time and there was no previous data to use as a reference
As it was a brand new product for a new brand, we agreed to go for a testing campaign to see whether the Facebook “estimations” were good or not. In this research there are other non ASEAN countries like Sri. Lanka, Taiwan or Korea are ASEAN but I keep them as it may be a good reference for other readers 😉
As a branding campaign, the main objectives were clear, get a first reference of each country for:
- CPM (you may want to refresh what CPM and CPC truly mean)
- Cost per engagement
- CPC and cost per Engagement of each country.
- Facebook Relevance Score of each country for the same banner
First step: find some third parties benchmarks. After some research, lots of Facebook official partners samples and some extremely funny reports (the Sales Force one that allocates Vietnam in Korea) it is easy to realize that most of the available data was not very trustworthy.
Overall, some minutes after doing this brief research I decided to make my own and write this post 🙂
Second step: Facebook estimation. Afterwards, its recommended to compare the Facebook estimations you get on the Advert Set configuration (this info is showed only in Manual configurations) .
After doing the set-up for all these countries, here it is the ‘Facebook CPM suggestion’ for this pool of countries:
Third step: testing phase. Now we are ready to make some real estimations to our client to manage their expectations. In order to be a real test we ensured the following items:
- Same set-up: All the campaigns were optimized to obtain a low cost-engagement. Recommended approach for branding purposes.
- Same visuals.
- Same audience indicators (simple audience set-ups are recommended in testing campaigns, once you get experience in that market, you can use this numbers as a reference to optimize)
- Same wordings: content. To be a 100% accurate benchmark we should have used local languages, however our time limitation forced us to do everything in English. The campaign was purely B2B – target audience were fragrance distributors with capacity to import and/or distribute large amounts of perfume- and these profiles tend to have a medium/high level of English.
So, after 6 days and $600 among the 8 countries, here we have the results:
Overall, the Cost per engagement was much lower than expected, which was good news in terms of branding. The CPC performance was obviously bad due to the engagement-optimized set up, however I recognized that I expected better values at Vietnam and Myanmar. Taiwan surprisingly high and Malaysia very high too considering how English friendly this country is and our previous campaigns experience.
NOTE: This campaign was done with one single post. The post was exactly the same for every country (image and content). Text was typed in English which should carry out lower costs for English friendly countries like Malaysia, Sri Lanka or Philippines
The campaign belongs to Chemarome, a multinational fragrance producer that operates in Europe, Asia, Middle east and Central Africa.